VFW Relief Funds: The rules for the Relief Fund of the VFW and the VFW Auxiliary differ. For your information, the VFW Auxiliary rules have been added at the bottom of this page.
The vast majority of our VFW Post 10859 Relief Funds is from our Buddy Poppy distribution efforts. The collection of any donations as a result of our Buddy Poppy distribution must be added to the Post Relief Fund. Other donations specified for the Post Relief Fund must also be placed in the Relief Fund account. Funds from the Relief Fund may only be distributed in accordance with the below rules.
Article II Section 219 – Relief Fund
The Quartermaster of the Post will be the custodian of the relief fund and will expend monies there from, as directed by the Post, for the following purposes only:
(a) Aid, assistance, relief, and comfort of needy or disabled veterans or members of the Armed Forces and their dependents, and the widows and orphans of deceased veterans.
(b) Maintenance and expansion of the VFW National Home for Children and other facilities devoted exclusively to the benefit and welfare of the dependents, widows, and orphans of disabled, needy or deceased veterans or members of the Armed Forces.
(c) Necessary expenses in providing entertainment, care, and assistance to hospitalized veterans or members of the Armed Forces.
(d) Veterans rehabilitation, welfare, and service work.
(e) To perpetuate the memory of deceased veterans and members of the Armed Forces, and to comfort their survivors.
(f) To foster true patriotism through historical and educational programs.
(g) Remission of dues of sick, needy or disabled members.
(h) Necessary expenses to support the relief fund such as the purchase of Buddy Poppies.
Relief funds may be invested in approved securities but shall not be loaned to the Post or other units or transferred from the relief fund in any manner or under any guise.
The Relief Fund shall consist of the proceeds from:
1. Net proceeds from Buddy Poppy distributions.
2. Any contribution or other funds available.
Relief Fund money shall be restricted and expended by majority vote of members at a meeting solely for these purposes:
1. Aid to Auxiliary members needing financial assistance.
2. To meet ALL obligations or gifts to the VFW National Home for Children. See Page 53 of the
Treasurer’s Guide for more assistance with Home donations.
3. Hospital work for all veterans, members of the Armed Forces, Auxiliary members and their family members.
4. Veterans & Family Support work for all veterans, members of the Armed Forces, Auxiliary members and their families.
5. National Auxiliary Cancer Aid & Research Fund.
6. Special purposes authorized by National Headquarters.
7. To perpetuate the memory of deceased veterans and members of the Armed Forces, and to comfort their survivors.
8. To foster true patriotism through historical and educational programs.
All other expenditures shall come from the General Fund.
Veterans in Need
North of the River